It is a well-known fact that Interviewers are not angels-they are also human beings. So their Unconscious mind rules their behavior. If you decipher the above mentioned concept -half of the battle is won. Putting it differently, Endless stuff on how to crack the interview is available on google search engine. But if you mingle it with basics of psychology, then it will enlighten your knowledge, enable cracking the interview, boost your confidence and performance on Job. There are some miraculous psychological tricks, tips and technique that will accelerate the chances of your selection in an interview.
There are thousands of jobs like Banking, Legal and Consulting, Hospitality, Marketing, Health, Home, Property etc. Each Profession has different requirement, however the basic principles of Interviewing are the same.
Following are the most significant factors that relate to psychological tricks.
1. If you have option to attend interview on a day of your choice, don’t attend the interview on the same day on which the strongest candidates also attend the interview. Research undertaken on interviews indicates that candidates who were interviewed at the end of day after interviewing a series of strong candidates were rated lower than expected. On the contrary, those candidates who were interviewed after a series of weak candidates were rated higher than expected.
2. Know about colours to colour your personality and crack the interview
One of the surveys on hiring managers indicates that different colours connote distinct personalities. 25% of interviewers suggested wearing blue coloured clothes-Blue Colour indicates that the candidate is a team player.17% recommended black coloured clothes that is indicative of leadership potential.
However, 30% respondents said that orange colour indicates an unprofessional attitude. Other colours and their connotations are hereunder:
a. White: It indicates that person is organized
b. Gray: Person is logical and analytical in his approach to work.
c. Brown: Person depends on others
d. Red: It is related to power.
3. Tailor yourself as per Interviewer’s age factor
On the basis of age of interviewer you can tailor your answers.
Here are a few tips
• Generation Y Interviewers (between age group 20 to 30)-For these Interviewers, carry with yourself visual samples of your work and try to show that you are multi-task oriented.
• Generation X Interviewers (Between 30 and 50): Put emphasis on creativity and try to show that you possess a quality of maintaining balance between work and personal life.
• Baby Boomer Interviewers (Between 50 and 70): You need to prove that you are hard worker.
4. Demonstrate Confidence along with Deference
-Competition and Cooperation are the two rails on which train of corporate world moves. Possessing both these traits in an interview and the job is important. You don’t have an option of choosing either of the one.
5. Be frank about your weaknesses
As per recent study the answers such as “I work too hard” or “I am perfectionist” can kick you out of the interview. Concealment is nowadays not acceptable. Rather, it is better to accept weaknesses-“I am not always organized.”
6. Body Language
Body language provides subconscious clues to your personality and attitude. Avoid nervous habits such as fidgeting, playing with your pen, cracking your knuckles or crossing your arms. Body Language makes a big impact on assessment by the interviewer. More than 70% weight age is given to Non Verbal cues-Facial expression, posture, tone etc. Less emphasis is given to Verbal Cues like what you are saying.
7. Mind-mapping and Visualizing techniques
Many psychologists suggest that the practice of imagining, picturing or rehearsing the emotions of cracking the interview few days before Interview increases the chances of better performance in interview.
8. Try to make a connection with the profile of Interviewer-Find something which is common between you and interviewer since it is a common psychological phenomenon that two people like each other if they share similar values and attitude.